The last slam of the season starts tomorrow. How did this happen? How are we here already? Seems like we were just getting excited aboutu and then getting over the Australian Open. The US Open won’t be the same without Rafa, but I’m hoping there will still be some entertaining tennis and the usual NYC drama.
The Rafa bits from a recent documentary about his uncle Miguel Ángel Nadal.
Posted by vamosrafelnadal.Articles:
- Strokes of Genius: The Best of the Men – by Christopher Clarey (nytimes.com) I’m surprised Rafa didn’t rate higher on overheads.
To Play a Match for Your Life
1. Rafael Nadal
2. Novak Djokovic
3. Roger Federer
Not even close. A near first-place sweep for Nadal, although it seems best not to ask him to play for your life at this United States Open (he has withdrawn).
- Roger Federer’s longevity or Rafael Nadal’s high point? Think carefully (U.S. Open) – by Douglas Perry (oregonlive.com)
- Rafa Latest To Take ALS Challenge – via atpworldtour.com
- Stars’ Rackets: Not Just Like Ours – by Stuart Miller (nytimes.com)
The company will now use disclaimers stating that pro players may use a different racket from the one depicted. But while Rafael Nadal uses an older version of the AeroPro Drive, which he helped design, it is essentially the one that is sold to customers, Pin said.
- Boris Becker’s take, from New York to Novak – by Douglas Robson (usatoday.com)
Q: If you could play one player of today, who would it be?
I can tell you who I wouldn’t want to play: Novak on a slow hardcourt or Nadal on any clay court or Federer in his prime on grass. My best chance against these guys would have been on grass or indoors.
- Audio of the Benito interview on BBC5 – thanks to woody16668.
- Flashback: 2003 Trofeo Ciudad de Albacete trophy ceremony – I think my favorite moment is 50 seconds in, where Rafa’s like “let go, it’s mine” and walks away. (I’m also confused because I don’t have this match in my database nor do I see it on the ATP or ITF sites. Guess it’s not affiliated with either? Here’s the tournament website with a picture of Rafa before walking off with the trophy. (Thanks for the vid link, Beebs. I thought I’d seen it before, but couldn’t find it posted here. Sorry if it’s a repeat.)
- There’s some Rafa in this 2014 Roland Garros photoset on flickr by Nic Matringe.
- U.S. denies Iranian line umpire the necessary visa to work at U.S. Open – by Greg Bishop (si.com) *sigh* I hate it when sports gets sullied by politics.
- Andy Murray’s New Tennis Partner – by Tom Perrotta (wsj.com) Why is Andy still being forced to defend having a female coach? It’s ridiculous.
Murray dismisses that attitude. “There’s a lot of coaches out there, male coaches, that Amélie could comfortably beat at tennis,” he said. “I’m sure if Amélie played tennis against Toni Nadal [ Rafael Nadal’s uncle and coach] it would be a pretty comfortable win for Amélie.”
- A Tennis Board Woven With Conflicts – the very inbred state of tennis in the US.
- On Eve of U.S. Open, Putting Away a Few Tennis Myths – by Stuart Miller (nytimes.com)
- Just noticed this – the 404 page at TennisTV.com. Yes, that’s the same face I make when I come across a page not found error.
via NadalNews.com http://ift.tt/1smWEmT